Lori Anna Dees, DDS, MBA
Meet Dr. Dees
Dr. Dees is a Texas state licensed dentist with a specialty in endodontics. Before working in private practice as an endodontist, Dr. Dees gained extensive experience in many aspects of clinical and administrative dentistry. Between 1993 and 2005, Dr. Dees worked in various roles, beginning as a front desk administrative assistant, then as a dental assistant, later as a general dentist, and ultimately in her current role as an endodontist.
Dr. Dees earned a Bachelor of Arts in Art History in 1995 from The University of Texas at Austin.
From 1996 to 2000 she was a dental student at Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas, Texas. While at Baylor she spent a two-year stent on the Dean’s Honor List for excellence in her studies, pledged with Xi Psi Phi, won the MDK Bremner Student History Essay Contest for her article “Before We Were Created Equally: The Story of Lucy Hobbs Taylor”, received the Quintessence Award for Restorative Dentistry, and co-authored numerous scientific research projects. She earned her DDS from Baylor College of Dentistry in 2000.
In 2004, Dr. Dees earned her Certificate of Endodontics from the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans.
Dr. Dees graduated from Yale University School of Management in 2015, where she earned a Master’s in Business Administration (MBA), with a focus in healthcare management. For two years she traveled from Dallas to New Haven in order to complete the program.
Dr. Dees has been listed in Texas Super Dentists every year since 2006.
Throughout her career, Dr. Dees has been involved in organized dentistry. She is a member of the Dallas – Fort Worth Metroplex Endodontic Society, the American Association of Endodontists, and the Texas Dental Association. She previously served as president of the Southwest Society of Endodontists, the DFW Metroplex Endodontic Society, the Garland Dental Research Club, and the Student Research Group Chapter at Baylor College of Dentistry. She was Vice President of the National Student Research Group Executive Board in 1999-2000. In 2000, she also served as a member of the Fort Worth District Dental Society.
An accomplished dental and endodontic professional, Dr. Dees’ work has been published in various academic journals, including the Journal of Orofacial Pain, the Journal of the History of Dentistry, and repeatedly in the Journal of Dental Research.
Dr. Dees lives in Dallas and is proud to be a 6th generation Texan. When she is not practicing endodontics or running her offices, Dr. Dees does take time out for other activities. What she enjoys most are spending time with family and friends, shotgun sports, listening to a good audiobook, and teaching tricks to her two black standard poodles.
- Dees, Lori Anna. “The Endodontic SOAP.” Published in the Fall 2011 issue of the New Mexico Dental Journal, 2011.
- Dees, Lori Anna. “Before We Were Created Equally: The Story of Lucy Hobbs Taylor, DDS”. J of the History of Dentistry 49, No. 3: p105-110, November 2001.
- Dees, L.A., Spears, R. Immunohistochemical analysis of IL-1 beta and TNF-alpha in adjuvant-induced inflammation of the rat TMJ. J Dent Res 79: 1416, 2000.
- Dees, L.A., Sapozhnikov, M., Alaniz, G., and Spears, R. Adjuvant-induced inflammation of the rat TMJ results in altered levels of IL-1 beta and TNF-alpha. J Dent Res 78: 2903, 1999.
- Alaniz, G., Sapozhnikov, M., Dees, LA, and Spears, R. Trigeminal neuropeptide Y levels in adjuvant-induced inflammation of the rat TMJ. J Dent Res 78: 2629, 1999.
- Sapozhnikov, M. Dees, L.A., Alaniz, G. and Spears, R. The effects of anti-NGF administration in adjuvant-induced inflammation of the TMJ. J Dent Res 78: 2901, 1999.
- Dees, L.A., Sapozhnikov, M., Louca, S., and Spears, R. Adjuvant-induced inflammation of the rat TMJ results in increased levels of IL-1 beta and bradykinin. J Dent Res 77:908, 1998.
- Sapozhnikov, M., Dees, L.A., Louca, S., Hutchins, B., Harper, R.P., Spears, R. NGF and CGRP levels are altered in adjuvant-induced inflammation of the rat TMJ. J Dent Res 77:909, 1998.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS/ LEADERSHIP
- President Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex Endodontic Society 2012-2013
- President Southwest Endodontic Society 2010-2011
- President Garland Dental Research Club 2007-2010
- Garland Dental Research Club 2004-present
- Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex Endodontic Society 2004-present
- American Dental Association: 1996 to present
- American Association of Endodontists: 2002 to present
- Fort Worth District Dental Society: member 2000
- Student Research Group Chapter at Baylor College of Dentistry: President 1999-2000, President-Elect 1998-1999, Second-Year Class Representative 1997-1998
- National Student Research Group Executive Board, headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland: Vice-President 1999-2000
- Officiated as a judge for the Caulk/Dentsply Student Research Award at Annual AADR/IADR Meeting in Washington D.C. in April 2000
- American Association for Dental Research/International Association for Dental Research member: 1998-2000
- American Student Dental Association: represented Baylor College of Dentistry as a Delegate in House of Delegates in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1999; New Orleans, Louisiana in 1998; Orange County, California in 1998; and Louisville, Kentucky in 1997
- Xi Psi Phi Fraternity: Third year Class Representative 1998-1999, Historian 1998-1999, Second Year Class Representative 1997-1998
- Elected by Student Research Group Officers to Represent Baylor College of Dentistry-TAMUS at the 34th Annual Dental Students’ Conference on Research at the National Institute of Dental Research in Bethesda, Maryland: April 1998
- Dental School Class Officer: Treasurer 1996-1997, Class Representative for Student Council 1997-1998
- Texas Dental Association: member 1997-present
- Chosen by Faculty at Baylor College of Dentistry-TAMUS to Work as a Student Tutor in Dental Anatomy: September 1997 to June 1998
- Dallas County Dental Society: member 1996-2000
- Texas Super Dentists: Dr. Dees has been selected by her peers as an outstanding practicing dentist in Texas. After an extensive nomination and research process conducted by MSP Communications, the results are published in Texas Super Dentists annually in TEXAS MONTHLY. Dr. Dees has been honored to be in the Super Dentists list in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Winner MDK Bremner Student History Essay Contest 2000 held by the American Academy of the History of Dentistry for journal article entitled “Before We Were Created Equally: The Story of Lucy Hobbs Taylor”
- Quintessence Award for Restorative Dentistry 2000 at Baylor College of Dentistry-TAMUS
- 2000 Senior Student Award presented by the Dallas Section of the American Association of Dental Research at Baylor College of Dentistry-TAMUS
- Dean’s Honor List 1999-2000 at Baylor College of Dentistry-TAMUS
- Dean’s Honor List 1998-1999 at Baylor College of Dentistry-TAMUS
- 4th Place for research project at Baylor College of Dentistry-TAMUS Student Research Day in April 1999
- Finalist Caulk-Dentsply Research Competition March 1999 in Vancouver, British Columbia
- President’s Honor Roll for Fall Semester 1993 at Austin Community College, Austin, Texas
- Scholastic Excellence Roll for Spring Semester 1994 at Austin Community College, Austin, Texas
- Inducted Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society May 1994 at Austin Community College, Austin, Texas